djfrosty

Lil Durk Cancels Rolling Loud Miami Performance & Several Tour Dates: ‘#StillHealing’

Lil Durk has canceled several dates of his Sorry for the Drought Tour and backed out of his Rolling Loud Miami performance.

On Tuesday (July 18), 24 dates had been marked as canceled and only five shows remained unaffected, including two hometown shows at Chicago’s United Center.

DJ Akademiks said on Instagram that he got a statement from Durk “exclusively about these cancellations,” which reads as follows: “Since I’m still awaiting to get full clearance from my doctors to travel and perform again, I have no other choice but to cancel my headlining Rolling Loud performance. While I’m home resting, I am looking forward to my two homecoming shows on the 11th & 12th in Chicago. For the rest of the country, I’ll be announcing new dates soon. #StillHealing”

Billboard has reached out to Durk’s reps for more information but hadn’t heard back at press time.

The Aug. 11 Chicago show is part of his Sorry for the Drought Tour, while the Aug. 12 show is the 107.5 WGCI Summer Jam, where Durk is still slated to perform alongside Kodak Black, NLE Choppa and DD Osama, who were slated to join him on tour. The other three shows are his July 28 show at Tampa, Florida’s MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheater, his Aug. 13 show at Noblesville’s Ruoff Music Center, and his Aug. 21 show at Houston’s Toyota Center.

His Rolling Loud Miami performance at Hard Rock Stadium was originally scheduled for this Friday, July 21.

TMZ Hip-Hop had reported last week that Durk had spent a week in the hospital earlier this month for severe dehydration and exhaustion. “My fans mean everything to me, you’re the reason why I do this,” he told the publication in a statement. “I was looking forward to touching all of my European fans, performing this week(end), attending the ESPYs and more but after performing and traveling daily I’ve become severely dehydrated and advised by my doctors not to travel due to exhaustion. Once I get my full energy back, it’s back to business which I’m looking forward to. #StillHealing”

Durk is expected to release the deluxe edition of his eighth studio album, Almost Healed, soon. He originally released the 21-track project on May 26, which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard‘s Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and No. 3 on the Billboard 200. Almost Healed contains the hit single “All My Life,” featuring J. Cole, which reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped both Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Rhythmic Airplay.

Greta Van Fleet on Making Their Third Album ‘Starcatcher,’ Touring With Metallica & More | Billboard News

Greta Van Fleet talk about their thought process making their third album ‘Starcatcher,’ how they feel about doing tour dates with Metallica and more.

Josh Kiszka:
Jake, do you want to do the Greta Van Fleet? I’ll do the Billboard News.

Jake Kiszka:
Hello, we’re Greta Van Fleet!

Josh Kiszka:
Oh, I wasn’t ready.

Jake Kiszka:
All right, well, you tell me when you’re ready. Hello, we’re Greta Van Fleet…

Josh Kiszka:
…And you’re watching Billboard News!

Lyndsey Havens:
Hey, I’m Lyndsey Havens for Billboard News and we are here with Greta Van Fleet. What is up, guys?

Lyndsey Havens:
We’re here to talk about your stellar third album ‘Starcatcher’ out in July. Yes, stellar.

Josh Kiszka:
That’s a really appropriate term for an album called ‘Starcatcher.’

Lyndsey Havens:
When did you start talking about even making a third album? Like how do you know when it’s time?

Daniel Wagner:
The funny thing is, is we’re always moving on to the next Yeah, we’re actually about to start the next album as we speak.

Lyndsey Havens:
That’s why we brought you here today?

Josh Kiszka:
There are songs that go in and out of time for us. Some get shelved, and then you pick them up again, because they make sense for that thing that you’re looking for. And a lot of this stuff just comes about and spontaneously ends up on the record that we’re working on. The ‘Starcatcher’ record was something that we were working on about the time of the Strange Horizons tour.

Watch the full interview above!

Greta Van Fleet Talk New Album ‘Starcatcher’ & What They’ve Learned From Metallica

On Friday, Greta Van Fleet will release the band’s out-of-this-world third album, Starcatcher. Ahead of the album’s arrival, the rock band — made up of brothers Jake, Josh and Sam Kiszka along with Danny Wagner — stopped by Billboard News to chat about writing and recording the epic project, the band’s upcoming world tour and so much more.

Coming off its cinematic sophomore effort The Battle at Garden’s Gate, Jake says, “Now it’s time to revert back to rock ‘n’ roll, and what does this [genre] truly mean for our generation.”

Starcatcher was introduced in April with the rattling lead single “Meeting the Master,” which Josh calls “the obvious curveball” to keep fans guessing as to what the album as a whole will sound like. The members all say it’s “pretty difficult” to choose a favorite song, with Wagner explaining it’s “because of how vast their sounds and meanings are … I have favorites to play, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it was my favorite to write or listen to in any sense.”

The band also spoke of its upcoming world tour and its set of September dates with Metallica. Speaking of the band, Sam says, “You have to have a lot of passion to be able to do something for so long and be so good at it … I’ve talked to [Metallica’s] Lars [Ulrich] about getting older and he says, ‘I have to work five times as hard just to get to the level I was at decades ago.’”

Fortunately for Greta Van Fleet, the work ethic and dedication are clear.

“The funny thing is, we’re always moving onto the next,” says Danny. “We’re actually about to start the next album, as we speak.”

Watch the full interview above.

‘AGT’ Contestant BJ Griffin Puts an Electric Cello Spin on ‘Let’s Stay Together’

When 34-year-old Virginia Beach native BJ Griffin stepped onto the America’s Got Talent audition stage, his goals were clear.

“I’m done holding myself back. I came on to win AGT and achieve my dream of sharing healing through my music with the world,” he told judge Sofia Vergara, who gave him a “big welcome.”

Not only was Griffin ready to talk the talk, he walked the walk when he grabbed his electric cello and delivered a mind-blowing take on Al Green’s classic, “Let’s Stay Together.” As expected, his performance was met with a standing ovation from the judges.

Explore

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

AGT is current in the audition process of its 18th season, returning with Simon CowellHeidi KlumHowie Mandel and Sofia Vergara. Talent of all ages enter the competition as they vie for the championship title, $1 million prize and a Las Vegas residency.

Watch Griffin’s audition below, and tune into America’s Got Talent on Tuesday night (July 18) to hear the judges responses. The episode airs at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.

If you don’t have cable and are looking for the best streaming options, you can still catch all the action through DirecTV’s promotion going on with Peacock. Currently, when you subscribe to DirecTV Stream, you can get Peacock Premium for $2 off a month.



Premios Juventud 2023: All the Performers & How To Watch

Premios Juventud is celebrating its 20th anniversary on Thursday from the Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot in San Juan, Puerto Rico, with the theme of “Exprésate a tu Manera” (Express Yourself Authentically).

This year, the fan-voted awards show is lead by nine-time nominees Bad Bunny, Becky G, Grupo Frontera, Maluma, Peso Pluma, Rauw Alejandro, Rosalía, Shakira and TINI. They are followed by Camilo, Karol G, Manuel Turizo and María Becerra who are each up for eight awards. 

Becky G

Co-hosted by Alejandra Espinoza and Angela Aguilar, this year’s PJs will debut 15 new categories that “reflect the latest trends” in Latin music, such as best song for my ex, best urban track and best urban mix, among others. 

Additionally, Shakira and Camila Cabello will receive the special “Agent of Change” award, joining past honorees including Jesse & Joy, Maluma, Daddy Yankee, J Balvin, Kany Garcia, Jenni Rivera Foundation, Ricky Martin, Becky G, Pitbull, Juanpa Zurita, and Wisin y Yandel. 

With the awards ceremony just around the corner, check out the complete list of performers and how to watch below: 

How to Watch: 

Premios Juventud will begin airing at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, July 20, with the “Noche de Estrellas” red carpet special, followed by the awards ceremony at 8 p.m. ET. Both will air simultaneously on Univision and ViX.

Performers:

  • Alexis Y Fido
  • Angela Aguilar
  • Angel Y Khriz
  • Camila
  • Camilo
  • Chencho Corleone
  • Chiquis
  • CNCO
  • Danna Paola
  • De La Ghetto
  • DJ Playero
  • Eslabon Armado
  • Farruko
  • Fernando Villalin 
  • Fuerza Regida
  • Ha*Ash
  • Hermanos Rosario 
  • Hoobastank
  • Ilegales
  • Jandy Ventura
  • Jacqie Rivera
  • Jenicka Rivera
  • Jowell & Randy
  • Khea
  • La Materialista
  • Luny Tunes
  • Moly 
  • Omar Courtz
  • Paulina Rubio
  • Pavel Nuñez
  • Rai Nao
  • R.K.M & Ken-Y
  • Sofia Reyes
  • Tiago PZK
  • Toño Rosario
  • Wisin
  • Zion Y Lennox

Brittany Aldean Defends Husband Jason Aldean’s ‘Try That in a Small Town,’ Blames Media’s ‘Repulsive Narrative’

Brittany Aldean is chiming in amid criticism surrounding her husband Jason Aldean’s recently released music video for his song “Try That in a Small Town.”

“Media… it’s the same song and dance. Twist everything you can to fit your repulsive narrative,” she wrote on her Instagram Stories on Tuesday (July 18) against a photo of the sky and a palm tree. “How about instead of creating stories, we focus on the REAL ones such as CHILD TRAFFICKING? Food for thought.”

Explore

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

See her post before it disappears here.

Earlier in the day, Jason responded to claims that the song is “pro-lynching” and that he was “not too pleased with the nationwide BLM protests.” The song challenges those who “pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store” or “cuss out a cop” to, as the title suggests, try those actions in a small town and “see how far ya make it down the road.”

The video, released on July 14,  features footage of American flag burning, protesters having confrontations with police, looters breaking a display case and thieves robbing a convenience store. CMT has since pulled the video from its rotation after running it for three days, Billboard confirmed.

“In the past 24 hours I have been accused of releasing a pro-lynching song (a song that has been out since May) and was subject to a comparison that I (direct quote) was not too pleased with the nationwide BLM protests,” Jason wrote in his statement. “These references are not only meritless, but dangerous. There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it and there isn’t a single video clip that isn’t real news footage- and while I can try and respect others to have their own interpretation of a song with music- this one goes too far.” 

Quavo & Future “Turn Your Clic Up,” King Von “Don’t Miss” & More | Daily Visuals 7.18.23

HipHopWired Featured Video

Rolling Loud Miami 2022

Source: Jason Koerner / Getty

After the tragic killing of his nephew and partner-in-rhyme, Takeoff, Quavo understandably fell back from the rap game for a minute. But lately Q has been making himself more visible and today links up with a fellow ATLien for his latest drop.

Collaborating with Future for his latest clip, “Turn Your Clic Up,” Quavo returns to the strip club with the Toxic King to blow off some steam and make it rain on the talent as they let the blue dollar bills fall from their diamond encrusted fingers. Those Benjamins must’ve been hella cold, b.

Back in Chiraq, the memory of King Von continues to live on and in his posthumous clip to “Don’t Miss,” we once again see the rapper while he was alive and well, spitting his bars in a church while everyone in attendance took in the sermon. Rest In Power, King.

Check out the rest of today’s drops including work from Smif-N-Wessun, EST Gee and more.

QUAVO & FUTURE – “TURN YOUR CLIC UP”



KING VON – “DON’T MISS”



SMIF-N-WESSUN – “BKLYN”



EST GEE – “WORLD IS YOURS”



BLUE FLAG 1900 – “CAN’T F*CK WITH ME”


https://youtube.com/watch?v=gmOAJMYMmao&version=3&rel=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&fs=1&hl=en-US&autohide=2&wmode=transparent

PATORANKING FT. POPCAAN – “TONIGHT”



22ND JIM & LARRY JUNE – “SAY LUV”



YUNG BLEU – “BAD LIL VIBE”



HipHopWired Radio

Our staff has picked their favorite stations, take a listen…


Jack Harlow Introduced His Mom to Beyoncé at Her Louisville Renaissance Tour Stop

When Jack Harlow got to meet Beyoncé, he made sure his mom was included.

The “Industry Baby” rapper met Queen Bey backstage at her Renaissance show in his home town of Louisville, Ky., and took to Threads to share a photo of the moment. In the snap, Harlow is seen looking at Bey while his mom and the superstar were smiling and chatting. The “Break My Soul” singer is also seen holding a tall gift bag, implying that Harlow and his mom gave the superstar a liquor or wine as a gift.

“Introduced my Mom to Beyoncé in Louisville, Kentucky tonight,” Harlow captioned the photo, which you can see via a fan Twitter page here.

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

After performing in Europe, Bey brought her highly anticipated Renaissance tour over to the United States earlier this month, starting with Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field and making stops in Chicago, East Rutherford, N.J., Atlanta, Houston and more before the run concludes Sept. 27 at the Caesars Superdome in New Orleans.

It’s been a wildly successful tour so far, as she posted career-high numbers when she wrapped the European leg of the tour in Warsaw in late June. According to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore, Beyoncé grossed $154.4 million and sold 1 million tickets across 21 shows, marking the biggest gross and attendance of any of Beyoncé’s previous European legs.

Wyclef Jean Says He’s Not Retiring, Says It’s Too Soon For A Fugees Biopic

HipHopWired Featured Video

The Fugees have enjoyed critical success, but their story has yet to be formally told. Wyclef Jean says it's too soon to do their biopic. 

Source: Marcus Ingram / Getty

Even though The Fugees enjoyed critical success, their story has yet to be formally told. Wyclef Jean says it is a bit too soon to do their biopic.

As spotted on TMZ, the Newark, New Jersey native was out and about in Manhattan on Monday, July 17 by NBC Studios. The celebrity gossip site had a reporter on site and got Wyclef to give some much needed updates on his career and his bandmates. Earlier this month, he appeared at the Essence Festival and hosted a panel about the importance of the Black community investing wisely, especially at a young age. “My retirement plan starts with my daughter and it’s important,” Wyclef declared.

During his on the spot interview, he clarified his statement saying he is not putting the microphone down just quite yet. “Am I retiring? Probably in five years. I think what happens is a company I’m working with, we’re talking about retirement” he said. “We are showing people how you have to prepare early and build generational wealth.” When asked about Pras post his recent guilty verdict. “What I can definitely tell you about Pras: he’s definitely in good spirits, 100% in good spirits.”

The “Gone Till November” talent also says that it is too early for a Fugees biopic film. “We would love to do a biopic, but it’s still ongoing right now. There is still so much to talk about. It would be amazing but the story is still going on,” he explained. You can see Wyclef discuss matters below.



HipHopWired Radio

Our staff has picked their favorite stations, take a listen…


U.K. Music Tourism Boomed in 2022 With Help From Harry Styles, Dua Lipa & More

The U.K. live music industry enjoyed a post-pandemic boom in 2022, resulting in a windfall for the country’s economy, according to new figures published Tuesday (July 18).

According to a new report from umbrella trade organization UK Music, more than 37 million people attended live concerts and festivals in the country last year, contributing £6.6 billion ($8.6 billion) to the local economy. It was the first full calendar year that the U.K. live music industry was open for business after months of intermittent COVID-19 restrictions led to the cancellation of thousands of concerts.  

The report, called “Here, There and Everywhere,” also found that the resurgence of live music events such as the Glastonbury Festival — which returned in 2022 after two years away — and sell-out tours by big-name artists like Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran and Stormzy helped attract more than 14 million international and domestic tourists to British gigs last year, reports UK Music.

Included among the 14.4 million “music tourists” — which UK Music defines as someone who has traveled at least three times the average commuting distance for their region — were 1.1 million overseas visitors.   

Overall, the report found that more than 30 million people went to concerts in the United Kingdom last year — spanning everything from arena shows to tiny grassroots gigs — while 6.5 million music fans attended festivals.   

“Here, There and Everywhere” is UK Music’s first report measuring the economic benefits of music tourism since its 2020 “Music by Numbers” study, meaning that accurate comparable numbers for preceding years are not available. According to 2020’s “Music By Numbers” report, which covered the prior 12 months, 33.7 million people attended U.K. live music events in 2019, including around 850,000 overseas visitors, contributing £4.7 billion ($6.1 billion) to the economy.

In 2022, 56,000 jobs were sustained by live gigs, said the London-based organization. The £6.6 billion ($8.6 billion) in music tourism spending for the year encompasses money spent on ticket sales, food and beverage sales, merchandise, venue parking, camping fees, accommodation, travel and additional spending outside of venues.

On a regional basis, London was the United Kingdom’s most popular destination for attending gigs, drawing 4.9 million music tourists who contributed £2 billion ($2.6 billion) in spending. The North West of England, a region which includes the cities of Manchester and Liverpool, was the second most popular destination for traveling music fans, with 1.9 million people visiting for live shows and spending £696 million ($907 million).

UK Music chief executive Jamie Njoku-Goodwin said in a statement that last year’s figures were a “testament to just how important a thriving musical ecosystem is for our towns and cities,” but warned that the sector still faces huge challenges as it continues its post-COVID-19 recovery.  

“With a venue closing every week, one in six festivals not returning since the pandemic, and many studios facing huge economic pressures, it’s vital that we protect the musical infrastructure that does so much for our towns and cities,” added Njoku-Goodwin, citing research from the Association of Independent Festivals (AIF) and Music Venue Trust (MVT).