trans
Page: 2
While Lil Nas X is well-known for being a comedic firebrand on social media, even the “Montero” rapper is ready to admit that a recent joke went a bit too far.
In a tweet posted on Wednesday (March 14), Lil Nas X offered an apology to the trans community after the rapper made a joke that he had transitioned. “apologies to the trans community i def handled that situation with anger instead of considering why it was not cool,” he wrote. “much love to you guys. sorry.”
The “That’s What I Want” singer was responding to critics of a since-deleted tweet, in which the rapper posted a photo of a woman bearing a slight resemblance to him. Captioning the post, Lil Nas appeared to claim that he had transitioned, writing, “The surgery was a success” next to a heart emoji. Many of the rapper’s followers quickly called out his post for being insensitive to a community that is currently being attacked by state legislatures around the U.S. with over 400 anti-trans bills currently in circulation.
While Lil Nas X officially apologized, he had choice words for one fan who asked him to do more. When told over Twitter that his apology was “fake as hell” and that he needed to show support for the community “in material ways that include money, sharing your platform to raise a [sic] awareness,” Lil Nas X quote tweeted the user, simply writing, “girl eat my a–.”
Representatives for Lil Nas X have not yet respond to Billboard‘s request for further comment.
The latest tweets come after a series of teasers from the star back in February, where he claimed that the follow-up to his debut album Montero could arrive as early as this summer. “it’s mostly planning now,” he wrote at the time. “i could easily just release music but i have to build moments around this s–t. i have to go bigger than before!”
Check out Lil Nas X’s apology tweet below:
apologies to the trans community i def handled that situation with anger instead of considering why it was not cool. much love to you guys. sorry— i am reading all that (@LilNasX) March 14, 2023
Macy Gray stopped by Tamron Hall on Thursday (Nov. 17) to address the backlash she faced over her recent comments on gender.
In July, the Grammy winner appeared on Piers Morgan Uncensored and gave her opinions about transgender athletes, which many perceived as transphobic. However, after the interview, she walked her controversial statements back on Twitter, claiming she had been “GROSSLY misunderstood.”
When she spoke with Hall, she addressed the backlash and what she’s learned from it since.
“Honestly, what I meant by being misunderstood is, what I was talking about was womanhood,” the singer said on the show. “So it’s just like when a boy becomes a man, so I was talking about maturing into a woman. Like, I have two daughters, and I don’t consider them women because, you know, they’re like two 20-year-old dummies, you know? They’re not on my level yet.
“But of course it got turned into me being a ‘transphobe,’ which couldn’t be further from,” Gray went on. “What I did learn was pure acceptance. I thought I was accepting before, but it was good for me because I’ve grown into just really, like, truly seeing someone and accepting them for who they are and who they want to be and their opinions. And that’s what makes the world what it is, is that everybody is different.”
Gray, who received two standing ovations from Hall’s studio audience, also promoted her upcoming 11th album The Reset with her band The California Jets Club.
Watch Gray clarify her comments about the trans community below.