State Champ Radio

by DJ Frosty

Current track

Title

Artist

Current show
blank

State Champ Radio Mix

8:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show
blank

State Champ Radio Mix

8:00 pm 12:00 am


netflix

Page: 11

Jennifer Lopez strikes a fierce stance in the new posters for her upcoming Netflix drama The Mother. In the two images for the film slated to premiere on May 12 — the trailer drops on Tuesday (April 11) — Lopez stares into the distance with icy eyes while wearing a fur coat in a snowstorm, a cache of weapons slung over her left shoulder.
The intense images were shot by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz to promote the film in which Lopez plays an assassin who comes out of retirement to protect the daughter she’s never met from murderous criminal bent on revenge. The action adventure is the follow-up to last year’s Super Bowl halftime doc Halftime, as well as the singer’s return to rom-coms, Shotgun Wedding.

The film’s trailer finds a jacked Lopez doing pull-ups in a frigid climate in a sports bra and beanie cap and toting a long gun around while hunting. “She needs protection right now,” a steely-eyed JLo says amid a montage in which she speaks to her teary daughter in a diner, rips through town in a high-speed chase and pulls off a variety of action sequences on motorcycles and snowmobiles.

“If there’s trouble… come find me,” she says ominously. The rest of the cast for the film directed by Niki Caro (live-action Mulan) includes Joseph Finnes, Lucy Paez, Omari Hardwick, Paul Raci and Gael Garcia Bernal.

Not much else is known about the movie, but if Lopez’s husband, Oscar-winner Ben Affleck, is to be believed it is likely to be another one of her signature hits. “Here’s this incredible actress and this incredible performer. And then we’re sitting in the car, you know, and I’m humming along, like I will, you know, to the radio. And then a professional singer goes ahead and sings along and you kind of feel like, ‘Well that’s embarrassing,’” he told the hosts of the Smartless podcast last week about his awe about his wife’s talents and the songs she’s written about him over the years.

That high praise came a week after the couple walked the red carpet for the premiere of the dramatic origin story of Nike’s Air Jordan sneakers, Air, which Affleck stars in and also directed. At the time, he had more kind words for J.Lo for standing by his side during the film’s production, saying, “I love you. You mean the world to me. You’re fabulous, you’re amazing, you’re wonderful, good, kind, magnificent and I love you.”

Check out the poster and trailer for The Mother below.

HipHopWired Featured Video

Source: MARK RALSTON / Getty / Gears of War
We are one step closer to that long-awaited television adaption of Gears of War.
Variety exclusively reports that Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Jon Spaihts has boarded Netflix’s forthcoming adaptation of the popular Xbox video game, Gears of War.
Spaihts has co-written 2021’s Dune, the upcoming Dune sequel, and Doctor Strange and hopes to deliver another great television adaptation of a video game franchise.

“Gears of War’ is one of the all-time great action games, with vivid characters, a beautifully designed world, and a combat system that drives home the lethality of war and the importance of standing by your squadmates. It wants to be cinema, and I’m thrilled to have the chance to help that happen,” Spaihts told Variety in a statement.
The Netflix film is just one part of the GOW universe it hopes to build after landing a deal with Gears of War developer, The Coalition in November 2022. If all goes as planned, the feature film will come first, with an adult animated series behind it and then potentially spinoff series.
The game centers around human civilization as they fight to survive against a subterranean threat called The Locust Horde. The human race’s last hope lies with a disgraced sergeant, Marcus Fenix, who leads Delta Squad, a ragtag group of soldiers.
[embedded content]
“We’re thrilled to partner with Jon and the Netflix team to bring ‘Gears of War’ to life,” The Coalition said. “Jon is a master storyteller with a talent for creating epic, science-fiction universes, and he truly loves ‘Gears of War.’ We couldn’t ask for a better partner to honor our franchise and deliver an authentic story to our fans.”
Does This Mean Dave Bautista Is Joining The Project?
This is the most significant development in adapting Gears of War into a film. Before Netflix got on board, New Line Cinema acquired the rights to turn GOW into a film in 2007, before Scott Stuber, now head of original films at Netflix, joined Epic Games as a producer in 2013.
Universal hired  F. Scott Frazier to pen an adaption in 2018, but nothing ever came of that.
As far as casting, one name has come up for years, and it’s none other than Dave Bautista, who fans have chosen from the jump to play Marcus Fenix because of the uncanny resemblance.

The former WWE superstar turned actor has even lobbied for the role, and it also helps The Coalition’s release of DLC using Bautista’s likeness in the game.
With Spaihts onboard, it makes all the sense for Bautista to land the role since they worked together on both Dune and Dune: Part Two.
So, with that said, make it happen. Give Bautista the role. Looking at you, Netflix.

Photo: MARK RALSTON / Getty

Netflix unveiled the trailer for its new Lewis Capaldi documentary, Lewis Capaldi: How I’m Feeling Now, on Thursday (March 16).

The film promises a behind-the-scenes look at the Divinely Inspired to a Hellish Extent singer’s meteoric rise to fame with his No. 1 hit “Someone You Loved,” as well as the impact the success as taken on his mental health.

“I think I’ve never been more insecure in my life than I am now,” he admits in the supercut. “And I think that’s got worse the more successful I’ve got.”

Later, the singer confesses he felt a remarkable amount of “tension all the time” to deliver a worthy follow-up to his 2019 breakout album. (“You get your whole life to write your first album, and a year or six months to write your second … The clock’s ticking,” he points out.)

The rest of the trailer follows Capaldi on the journey to improve his mental health, all as he feels the weight of everyone depending on him to continue his career. “You can only be the next best thing for, like, a year,” he says. “Of course there’s pressure … I’ll probably f–k up, but we’ll have a good time while we do it.”

Earlier this month, the Scottish crooner was forced to postpone a pair of shows in Zurich and Milan due to a doctor’s orders that he take at least three days rest to recover from a case of bronchitis.

Lewis Capaldi: How I’m Feeling Now is slated to premiere on Netflix on April 5. Watch the full trailer below.

HipHopWired Featured Video

Source: Frazer Harrison / Getty
Last week, it was revealed that Steven Yeun was cast in a mystery role in Marvel Studio’s Thunderbolts film, and while we wait to see who he’ll be playing, a new Netflix series has Yeun in an entirely different kind of dramedy.

Netflix just released the trailer for their upcoming series, BEEF, which pits Steven Yeun against a suburban housewife on the brink, Ali Wong. Both going through their own personal struggles, Yeun and Wong unintentionally cross paths and turn a simple case of road rage into a long and drawn out personal conflict that leads to them looking to one-up each other and inflict as much pain and discomfort on the other as possible.

Whether it’s invading their personal space or destruction of personal property, the two go to great lengths to show one another that they’re not the ones to f*ck with, and it’s on sight regardless of who’s around. Needless to say, the A24 produced comedy is definitely a show to keep an eye out for as it promises to be one helluva ride.
Check out the trailer to BEEF below, and let us know if you’ll be checking for this when it debuts on Netflix April 6 in the comments below.
[embedded content]

HipHopWired Featured Video

August Alsina found himself mentioned in the news once again after Chris Rock took to the stage over the weekend in a new Netflix standup comedy special. During Rock’s set, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith were in the comedian’s crosshairs and while sources said Alsina found the jokes “funny,” the singer denied the rumors and hasn’t seen the special.
August Alsina, 30, and Pinkett Smith, 51, were previously engaged in what was framed as an “entanglement” and exposed the world to the inner workings of the relationship between Smith and his wife in grand detail. While rumors of their union have persisted for years, the revelation went far past anyone’s expectations.

Related Stories

Rock’s recent special, Selective Outrage, didn’t primarily focus on his issues with Smith or Pinkett Smith directly but it was the elephant in the room during the entire special. According to sources speaking to the New York Post, Alsina had a nice chuckle at the expense of the Smiths.
From the New York Post:
“August watched the Netflix special and he laughed,” a source told The Post. “He thought it was not only funny but truthful. That was the best part for him.”
However, a rep for August Alsina told Entertainment Tonight that the rumors their client watched the Rock special were false.
“Mr. Alsina has not seen Chris Rock’s special at all, as he’s been busy on tour,” the rep continued.

Photo: Joseph Okpako / Getty

HipHopWired Featured Video

CLOSE

Source: Kirill Bichutsky / Courtesy of Netflix
You knew it was going to happen. During his Netflix life show on Saturday night (March 4), Chris Rock: Selective Outrage, in Baltimore, Chris Rock pretty much eviscerated Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith with all the pent-up slander he could muster, but it’s not being universally applauded.

By now you know the story, after a flippant joke Rock told about his wife during the 2022 Oscars ceremony, Smith proceeded to walk onto the stage and smack fire out of the comedian. There were apologies, suspensions, debates, more apologies, but Rock never really went in depth about the incident.
Until last night.

Rock had a whole set with some potent, and a-ight, jokes (we predict coming for Meghan Markle ain’t gonna fly), but you knew most people were waiting to here what he had to say about that. And he didn’t disappoint.
“I got smacked at the f*cking Oscars by this motherf*cker. And people like, did it hurt? It still hurts,” said Rock said. “I got ‘Summertime’ ringing in my ears.”
But Rock saved the most fiery stuff for Jada, who he said “started this sh*t.”

“Everybody in here has been cheated on,” said Rock, referencing the Smith’s infamous Red Table Talk where they discussed Jada’s entanglement with August Alsina. “None of us have ever been interviewed by the person that cheated on us on television.” After mentioning how everyone was calling Smith a b*tch after that moment, Rock added, “Everybody, and who’s he hit? Me. A ni**a he knows he could beat. That is some bitch ass sh*t.”
However, although he got his full roast on, there are people who don’t think he did much to help the situation and are quite critical of his performance. For instance, he still called Pinkett-Smith out of her name and plenty of people are taking note of potential misogynoir.

Another recurring criticism is Rock telling people to be careful of what they say in front of white people, but he sure had know problem going in on Black people in front of them himself.
See more reactions in the gallery. Tell us what you think in the comments.

HipHopWired Featured Video

Source: Variety / Getty / Kelly Rowland
The devil works hard, but Tyler Perry and his typewriter work harder. The Emmy and Honorary Oscar winner is hard at work on his next Netflix project, and it’s boasting some Black star power.

Spotted on Deadline, the next Netflix project written, directed, and produced by Tyler Perry, Mea Culpa, is coming. It will star Kelly Rowland (Think Like A Man), Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight, The Predator), Sean Sagar (The Gentlemen), Nick Sagar (The Princess Switch trilogy), and RonReaco Lee (Nappily Ever After).

The film follows an ambitious criminal defense attorney trying to become a partner at the law firm and takes on a case of an artist who possibly killed his girlfriend.
Mea Culpa is the fifth feature from Perry at the streaming giant. It follows Six Triple Eight, A Fall From Grace, A Madea Homecoming, and A Jazzman’s Blues.
Six Triple Eight is a drama based on the true story of an all-Black, all-female, World War II Battalion that went into production last month and will see Kerry Washington star in the film and serve as an executive producer as well.
Kelly Rowland Is Back In Her Acting Bag
Rowland, a Grammy and Billboard Music Award-winning artist, has again caught the acting bug. She starred in Freddy vs. Jason, The Curse of Bridge Hollow, and Bad Hair. She was also in previous episodes of The Equalizer, L.A.’s Finest, A Black Lady Sketch Show, American Soul, and Empire.
Rhodes gained stardom after his stellar performance in Barry Jenkin’s Academy Award-winning film Moonlight and other films Bruiser, The United States vs. Billie Holiday, Bird Box, The Predator, and 12 Strong.
He was most recently seen in the controversial HULU series Mike portraying Mike Tyson.

Photo: Variety / Getty

While (G)I-DLE wowed K-pop listeners with provocative singles like “Tomboy” and “Nxde” in 2022, two of its members are bringing a “Sweet Dream” early in 2023.

(G)I-DLE’s Miyeon and Yuqi teamed up to sing the new song, “Sweet Dream,” as one of the official singles for Netflix’s upcoming Korean drama series Love to Hate You. With all the markings of a modern-day power ballad, the track lets Miyeon showcase her well-known sweet and strong vocal prowess (previously heard in her excellent solo single “Drive” last year). At the same time, Yuqi switches up her signature husky timbre for the song’s soothing melodies.

Explore

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

The special music video mixes scenes of Miyeon and Yuqi singing in a recording studio with clips from the upcoming K-drama to preview a messy, entertaining romantic comedy between acclaimed actress Kim Ok-vin and singer-actor Yoo Teo.

Kim and Yoo play opposite one another as an attorney and A-list actor, respectively, to whom “love means nothing – until they’re forced to date each other,” as teased by Netflix. The forthcoming series is Kim Ok-vin’s second venture with Netflix after starring in 2019’s fantasy drama Arthdal Chronicles that included BLACKPINK‘s Jisoo in the show’s cast.

The accompanying soundtrack singles to Love to Hate You will also include new songs from other top K-pop stars, including NCT‘s Taeil, rapper-singer BIG Naughty, plus NMIXX‘s Lily and Sullyoon, that will be released before and after the series premiere. Love to Hate You begins streaming on Netflix on Friday, Feb. 10.

Watch Miyeon and Yuqi’s “Sweet Dream” video below:

Alright, alright, alright, Matthew McConaughey is going to be the next Elvis — thank you, thank you very much. As announced Monday (Feb. 6), the 53-year-old actor will voice the King in an upcoming adult cartoon by Netflix, executive produced and co-created by the late rock ‘n’ roll legend’s wife, Priscilla Presley.

Explore

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

The show will be a far cry from Baz Luhrmann’s acclaimed 2022 Elvis biopic starring Austin Butler, though. While McConaughey’s Elvis will still be the world famous performer we all know and love, he’s also going to have a super secret side to him that his millions of fans don’t know about: he’s a spy. Titled Agent Elvis, the series will premiere this March and will follow Elvis as he balances his superstar duties with undercover vigilante activities.

“Elvis Presley trades in his jumpsuit for a jet pack when he is covertly inducted into a secret government spy program to battle the dark forces that threaten the country he loves – all while holding down his day job as the King Of Rock And Roll,” reads a description of the cartoon, billed by Netflix as being “offbeat,” “violent” and “raunchy.”

The Interstellar star is listed alongside Priscilla Presley as an executive producer of the project, as is John Eddie, writer and co-creator. Sony Pictures is to credit for the animation, the likes of which was previously showcased in the studio’s award-winning film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Viewers can get a first look at Agent Elvis in a minute-long trailer posted to Netflix’s YouTube channel on the day of the show’s announcement. “Every once in a while, man accomplishes the impossible,” McConaughey’s distinct southern drawl narrates, followed by shots of Elvis’ animated likeness landing on the moon, fist-fighting bad guys and flying around in a jetpack. “All it takes is someone with a dream. ‘Cause when a man dreams, he can change the world.”

Watch the trailer for Agent Elvis in the video above.

HipHopWired Featured Video

Source: Tim Nwachukwu / Getty
Dave Chappelle has spoken out about the backlash he’s received for his anti-trans commentary recently and how it made him feel.
In the latest episode of The Midnight Miracle podcast with Yasiin Bey and Talib Kweli Tuesday (Jan. 24th), the stand-up comedian addressed the criticism he’s received for his remarks during his recent Netflix comedy specials (with The Closer drawing the most ire) targeting the trans community for hypocrisy.

“In a weird way, they had the intention of inciting violence against themselves for publicity,” he said.

Chappelle referenced the show that he did in Minneapolis, Minnesota last July as an example. Chappelle had to move the show from the First Avenue club to the Varsity Theater due to protests from staff members at First Avenue. The show was well received by the audience but was marred by protests outside of the venue.
“The trans [people] and their surrogates, always say that my jokes are somehow gonna be the root cause of some impending violence that they feel like is inevitable for my jokes,” he stated. 
He continued: “But I gotta tell you, as abrasive as they were, the way they were protesting, throwing eggs at people, throwing barricades, cussing and screaming, [none of my fans] beat ‘em up. In fact, the people in the crowd would just say, ‘We love you. Like what are you talking about?’”
The 49-year-old then took aim at First Avenue’s handling of the situation, which included their issuing a statement of apology for booking him. “I was upset. I wasn’t mad that they canceled the show,” he said. “I was mad at the statement they released… You’re sorry? For booking me? What’s there to be sorry about is the position I was taking… I’m not even mad that they take issue with my work. Good, fine. Who cares? What I take issue with is the idea that because they don’t like it, I’m not allowed to say it.”
Chappelle elaborated further on that point, saying: “Everything seems absolute, and any opinion I respect is way more nuanced than these binary choices they keep putting in front of us. I don’t see the world in red or blue. Trying to silence a person like me, I don’t think it has anything to do with being loved. They want to be feared. ‘If you say this, then we will punish you.’”