State Champ Radio

by DJ Frosty

Current track

Title

Artist

Current show
blank

State Champ Radio Mix

8:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show
blank

State Champ Radio Mix

8:00 pm 12:00 am


K-Pop

Page: 11

BTS’ global ARMY issued a statement over the weekend in which the K-pop superstars’ most ardent fans emphasized that they are ride or die, no matter what. “The BTS ARMY is a vast fandom based around the world, yet a small number of people have recently released statements through the media claiming opinions that are contrary to the beliefs of the overwhelming majority of ARMY.”

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

The statement posted on a variety of social platforms from the band’s biggest global fan groups came after recent comments and claims from South Korean media and some fans in the wake of member Suga’s drunk-driving episode last month. In early August, Seoul police said they spoke to Suga (born Min Yoon-gi) on August 6 after he fell off his electric scooter while driving it near his home.

“Despite ARMY’s opposition to this imperious behavior, they continue to act against the fandom’s wishes while using ARMY’s name,” the statement continued. “It was further revealed that fans of other groups organized these actions. Therefore, we would like to clarify our position as the Global ARMY Alliance both domestically and internationally.”

Trending on Billboard

The message then spotlighted the three-point support plan proposed by the global ARMY:

The group that claims to speak for ARMY, while dismissing the majority of ARMY’s opinions, cannot in fact represent ARMY. The Global ARMY Alliance calls on them to stop abusing ARMY’s name.

The Global ARMY Alliance supports all seven members of BTS.

The Global ARMY Alliance does not ask BTS members to take any more responsibility than legally required.

While the statement representing 127 ARMY divisions from around the world did not specifically mention the Suga incident, the message posted on Sunday (Sept. 8) ended with the double-down, “as stated above, global ARMY fan bases, both domestic and international, have gathered to affirm with one voice that we continue to support all seven members of BTS. Additionally, we strongly urge media not to give credibility to individuals with unconfirmed representation.”

After the scooter stop, Suga issued the first of two apologies to fans, writing on Weverse, “I bow my head and apologize to those who have been hurt by my carelessness and wrong action.” In addition, the 31-year-old rapper assured ARMY that no property or people had been impacted in the incident he said happened after he had drinks at dinner and then hopped on his electric kickboard, not realizing he could not operate a two-wheeled scooter while intoxicated during what he described as a short trip to his home.

“In the process of setting up an electric kickboard at the front door of the house, I fell alone, and there was a police officer around me, so I took a breath test,” he said, noting that a fine was issued and his license was suspended. In a second, handwritten note posted on August 25, Suga again apologized for what he said was the “disappointment and hurt of my misbehavior to my fans and everyone who loves me. I’ve made a big mistake, forgetting the responsibility to repay you with actions worthy of the love I’ve received… Due to this incident, I have greatly damaged the precious memories I made with the members and fans and put a lot of pressure on the name of the BTS. I feel so sorry and painful that it’s hard to express because it’s causing damage to the members and the team. I’m sorry that the members who always trusted me have a hard time because of me. And I know the disappointment that the fans who supported and supported me must have felt.”

Suga’s license was suspended after police said he had a blood-alcohol content of 0.227, well above above the 0.08 level that triggers license revocation after he drove the seated electric scooter while impaired in the Yongsan District in central Seoul.

According to Variety, in the weeks following the stop, more than 1,400 stories have been posted on Korean media sites about the DUI, with many reportedly containing speculative details and others spotlighting “fake news.” Among the reports were two from mainstream media outlets Yonhap and JTBC, which reportedly featured footage of a man using a scooter on a a road at night that they claimed was Suga, though after police revealed a week later that Suga was riding on a footpath during the incident JTBC reportedly apologized for “causing confusion.”

After some commentors online suggested that Suga should be booted from the band in the wake of the DUI, the statement makes it clear that the global ARMY group supports all seven members of BTS; the K-pop superstars are currently on a hiatus slated to last through next summer while its members complete their mandatory South Korean military service.

Check out the statement below.

Megan Thee Stallion and RM‘s “Neva Play” has topped this week’s new music poll that features artists in various genres of music. Music fans voted in a poll published Friday (Sept. 6) on Billboard, choosing the Houston rapper and BTS star’s team-up as their favorite new music release of the past week. “Neva Play” brought […]

BLACKPINK have two billion reasons to celebrate this week after the video for their 2019 No. 41 Billboard Hot 100 hit “Kill This Love” became the K-pop girl group’s second visual to cross the double billion mark. Explore Explore See latest videos, charts and news See latest videos, charts and news “Kill This Love” now […]

BTS‘ RM will be the subject of the upcoming solo documentary, RM: Right People, Wrong Place. According to a release, the film directed by Lee Seokjun — who also produced BTS bandmate J-Hope’s videos for “Arson” and “MORE” — will take viewers “through Seoul, Tokyo, and London — cities where RM captured the essence of […]

Megan Thee Stallion and RM are collaborating on new music.
The 29-year-old Houston rapper announced through social media Sunday (Sept. 1) that she’s teaming up with the BTS star on the new song “Neva Play.” The collab drops on Friday, Sept. 6, and can be pre-saved on streaming services here.

“NEVA PLAY WITH RM OUT FRIDAY HOTTIES X ARMY #MEGJOON,” Megan captioned a promo drawing on Instagram of herself sporting blue hair and flashing cash while RM casually looks over his shoulder.

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

She further teased in the post, “ps. This is one of my favorite RM verses I’ve heard! I’ve never heard him rap in this style before.”

Trending on Billboard

“Screaming!!!!!!!,” Halsey, who collaborated with BTS on “Boy With Luv” in 2019, wrote in the comments.

The “Hiss” rapper hinted at a new duet on X (formerly Twitter) earlier in the week, when she simply tweeted a pointed string of emojis: “🐎X💜 👀.” The cryptic post got lots of fans fired up, with some immediately guessing that the purple heart signified BTS’ involvement. The following day, BTS’ account confirmed the news of a team-up: “🐎X🦔(🐨),” the K-pop band wrote, retweeting her original post. “Coming Soon! 💜👀.”

The news arrives about two months after Megan Thee Stallion released her third album, Megan, which debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200. Meanwhile, BTS’ full-band activities have been on pause as the members fulfill their mandatory military obligations in South Korea, with some of the boys dropping solo projects in the meantime.

“Neva Play” won’t be the first time Meg has worked with members of BTS. In 2021, she jumped on the remix to the boy band’s Billboard Hot 100-topping single “Butter,” which they all performed together at BTS’ concert in Los Angeles that November.

“I love BTS, and I was telling my manager, ‘I really want to do a song with BTS, I don’t know what I can do or what we’re going to do,’” she recalled to Entertainment Tonight the following February. “Around that the same time, they wound up reaching out to me and asking me to do the ‘Butter’ remix. So, I was like, ‘Oh my God.’”

See Megan Thee Stallion’s post about her RM collab on Instagram below.

With millions of viewers around the world tuning in and casting votes for contestants in the K-pop survival show Boys Planet, contestants who didn’t make a place in the final band left the program with fans eager to see their next steps. No group perhaps better embraces such potential than EVNNE, the seven-member boy band […]

LE SSERAFIM is back! The group dropped a vibrant new music video for their single “CRAZY,” and as expected, it features some great outfits and even better dance moves. The song is featured on the group’s freshly released mini-album of the same name, Crazy. The project contains five tracks: the title track, “Chasing Lightning,” “Pierrot,” […]

When he was working on his just-released debut solo LP, J, NCT member Jaehyun was striving for a “classic” vibe with the hope that “as time passes by, you could still listen to the [whole] album,” the 27-year-old singer told The Hollywood Reporter. The eight-track collection available now on all streaming platforms includes the slinky […]

NCT‘s Jaehyun dropped the video for the first single from his just-released solo debut album, J – The First Album, which is available now digitally and on all streaming platforms. The singer also issued the focus track “Smoke” in English and Korean, a slinky R&B jam whose video finds the K-pop star battling an unseen […]

BTS‘ Suga issued another apology to ARMY over his recent drunk scootering incident in a handwritten note posted to Weverse on Sunday (August 25). According to a translation of the post, Suga, 31, said, “I would like to apologize again to you with shame. I deeply apologize for the disappointment and hurt of my misbehavior to my fans and everyone who loves me.I’ve made a big mistake, forgetting the responsibility to repay you with actions worthy of the love I’ve received.”

Explore

See latest videos, charts and news

See latest videos, charts and news

He continued by describing the night in question (August 6), saying he made the mistake of driving on an electric scooter after drinking and apologizing for the “confusion” caused by his first, “hastily posted” apology on the day after the incident. “I should have thought more deeply and been careful, but I couldn’t,” he wrote.

Trending on Billboard

“It’s all my fault. My carelessness is giving everyone who cares about me a hard time. I will try not to do anything wrong again and live with repentance,” he added. “Due to this incident, I have greatly damaged the precious memories I made with the members and fans and put a lot of pressure on the name of the BTS. I feel so sorry and painful that it’s hard to express because it’s causing damage to the members and the team. I’m sorry that the members who always trusted me have a hard time because of me. And I know the disappointment that the fans who supported and supported me must have felt.”

The rapper had his license suspended after police said he operated the seated electric scooter while impaired in the Yongsan District in central Seoul, with a blood alcohol content above the 0.08 level that triggers license revocation. At the time, Suga said he didn’t realize he couldn’t drive the scooter while intoxicated, explaining that he felt comfortable making the trip because he was close to his apartment. According to Suga’s original account, he fell over while trying to ride the electric kickboard, which police observed, leading to a breathalyzer test.

BTS’ label BigHit also shared a pair of statements on Weverse at the time, noting that Suga was wearing a helmet and had only traveled about 500 meters before falling down while parking the scooter.

In the new statement, Suga also asked ARMY for forgiveness for letting them down. “I just feel sorry for the fans who have always given me too much love… I know that it is difficult to heal the wounds and disappointments that my fans have received with any words, so I regret it deeply and reflect on it with a heavy heart every day,” he said. “Once again, I sincerely apologize to the fans who were hurt by me. We will receive criticism and reprimand as well as future dispositions. Finally, once again, I sincerely apologize for causing a social stir and disappointing many people.”

At press time it did not appear that South Korean police had issued an official sanction yet to the BTS member over the incident, though Korean media reported that he “admitted” to the alleged DUI during three hours of police questioning last week.

Suga has less than a year left on his alternative mandatory South Korean military service; he was deemed unfit for regular combat duty due to a 2020 shoulder injury.